Wednesday, May 20, 2009

things to do when you are not sleeping

As previously mentioned I suffer from the occasional bout of insomnia. They usually occur when I have a high stress level in my life which at the moment is quite low, thus I am not sure what the fun reason is now. All I know is I am averaging about 4 hours a sleep a night for the past 3 nights...and this is not consecutive hours either mind you. On the plus side of this I am getting through my mountain that is my To Be Read pile of books.
I read JEN LANCASTER'S
Great memoir "such a pretty fat or why pie is not the answer"
This book amused me on many levels, not the least of which is how she views the gym and WW meetings. An example of why I loved this book is this blurb from the back cover:
"To whom the fat rolls...I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting:they make me want to to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter."
She has a healthy & hilarious outlook that made me want to get moving for the right reasons.

Another good one I finished off last evening was DEBRA GINSBERG'S book
Waiting, which is part memoir part social commentary. This book is a great read for any of us who have ever worked within the service industry. Sometimes you read a book and have those aha moments, this book did that for me. The common view is that people who work within this industry are all on their way to something else, waiting for the rest of their life to happen. I thought it was a funny, moving and accurate.
Then of course there is always the time killer that is Facebook and it multitude of games. I am quite addicted to Bewejeled Blitz myself. Alas many of my friends are also, thus my addiction is fueled by trying to top their high scores. Well, off for an attempt at an afternoon nap as most likely I'll be up most of the night once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment