Monday, February 23, 2009

times like these

About the time I got "let go" from my job i decided to cut off my cable. Part of this was money. part of it was what I was watching. I had some severe withdrawls from my tv addiction for about 2 weeks. Then I started to feel a bit free. I could watch many of my fave shows online...and anytime I wanted once they had aired, almost like I had Tivo'd it!
The one thing I will admit to missing is the social aspect of television. I know that sounds funny as you don't think of TV as a social activity most of the time. However, think about how often you go to work or hang out with a friend and talk about Heroes, The Bachelor or American Idol (insert your show here if none of those work for you).
I went to my friend's usually always annual Oscar party last night, was amazingly fun & not just because I won the pool! At one point though 3 or 4 of the ladies sat around talking about Idol. Well, this is one of those shows that if I had cable I would probably end up seeing at least some of if not following, in spite of not really enjoying it. I was sad and happy at the same time to not know at all who these women were talking about. Happy as it meant that I wasn't giving up 2-4 hours of my life each week to the watching of it. Sad as I was completely lost as to what & who they were talking about.
I was glad to have a place to watch the Oscar's though as it is one of my things I really look forward to. The show this year was one of the better ones I had seen, loved the 5 former winners coming back to present for the major awards, cool touch. We missed to speeches for the best actor & actress due to a minor technical difficulty, but saw Sean Penn's online this am and loved it!
As I mentioned we had a pool which I won-yippee. We all had a ballot where we choose who would win for all of the awards. I got 15 right and tied with another lady who was as lucky as I was. (I say this as the only movie I saw was Slumdog Millionaire, the night before the Oscar's!)
We got a tiebreaker question that I got right thus winning $55. It meant I treated for breakfast this am with my friend A & my dad.
Well, I am behind on my online Tv watching, still have Heroes from last week to watch, so goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment